Warning: The following text contains spoilers relating to the plot of Prophecies.
When the Gods of Tyria created the world of Tyria, they presented the races of Tyria with the gift of magic. This gift was misused by the races of Tyria, and eventually King Doric made a plea to the Gods in the city of Arah that they intervene.
The Gods gathered all the magic from all the races into one tall stone and smashed it into five parts. Four of them were named Stones of Magic, each representing one school of magic: Preservation, Destruction, Aggression and Denial. The fifth stone was required to reassemble the other four, called the Keystone. The bloodstones prevent any one person from controlling all types of magic.
Following that, the Gods sealed the stones with the blood of King Doric (hence the name bloodstones) and placed him and his dynasty in charge of guarding these stones. The stones were dropped into Abaddon's Mouth, the great volcano in the Ring of Fire Islands. Content that the stones were sealed away, the Gods left Tyria that same year, which became known as the year of the Exodus.
Over a hundred years later, however, the volcano erupted, spewing forth the bloodstones back into the world and prompting a regression to the feudal ways of old.
In the current world of Guild Wars, the locations of the following Bloodstones are known:
- The bloodstone at Bloodstone Fen in the Maguuma Jungle which can only be accessed through the mission and the All for One and One for Justice quest. This stone is under the control of the White Mantle and is used for their ritual sacrifices of the Chosen.
- The bloodstone at the caldera of the great volcano Abaddon's Mouth, which is used to power the Door of Komalie and keep it locked. It is possible that this is the keystone as it is smaller.
- Underneath the Shiverpeak Mountains at the end of the Bloodstone Caves dungeon.
At the end of the Dragon's Lair mission Glint says that there is a bloodstone in the Shiverpeaks which the White Mantle planned to sacrifice Evennia and Saidra on. This is referring to the bloodstone within Bloodstone Caves, the dungeon at the foot of the Southern Shiverpeaks, near the coast, in Sparkfly Swamp west of Droknar's Forge.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While standing near the bloodstone in Bloodstone Fen and on the bloodstone in Hell's Precipice, players will be under influence of the Curse of the Bloodstone, which makes resurrection skills take 4 times as long to cast.
- While inside Bloodstone Caves, players will be under the influence of the Aura of the Bloodstone, healing all creatures whenever there is a death.