GuildWiki has been locked down: anonymous editing and account creation are disabled. Current registered users are unaffected. Leave any comments on the Community Portal.
Canthan New Year
Canthan New Year is the first day of the Canthan Calendar, when the people of Cantha prepare and partake in a great feast to honor the particular celestial animal who will watch over them during the coming year. According to tradition, if the celestial animal is satisfied with the meal, it will bestow good luck upon the populace for the coming year.
During the Canthan New Year, many activities take place in and around Shing Jea Monastery.
- 1 Locations
- 2 Quests
- 3 NPCs
- 4 Collectors
- 5 Minigames
- 6 Items
- 7 The Celestial Feast
- 8 Schedule
- 9 Trivia
- 10 External links
Locations[edit | edit source]
Redecorated towns[edit | edit source]
Event-specific locations[edit | edit source]
Quests[edit | edit source]
(You must be Level 5 or higher to participate in the quests)
Shing Jea Monastery:
- Coordinator Tahyaa:
- Johai Sohn: The Knights Who Say Nian
- Hai Len: Hopeless Romantic
NPCs[edit | edit source]
For a listing, see: Category:Canthan New Year NPCs.
Collectors[edit | edit source]
Minigames[edit | edit source]
Accessed by talking to the Rollerbeetle Trainer in Lion's Arch, Shing Jea Monastery, Kamadan, and the Great Temple of Balthazar.
- First place: 7 Lunar Tokens, 7 Gamer Points, and 50 Balthazar Faction. First place also receives +50 Balthazar Faction for a "Flawless Victory" and 50 Balthazar Faction for every 5 consecutive wins.
- Second place: 5 Lunar Tokens and 5 Gamer Points.
- Third place: 3 Lunar Tokens and 3 Gamer Points.
- Fourth place: 2 Lunar Tokens and 2 Gamer Points.
- Everyone else: 1 Lunar Token and 1 Gamer Point if they reach the end of the track within 30 seconds of 1st Place.
At the end of the Canthan New Year event, the players with the top 100 scores receive a miniature Greased Lightning.
Rock, Paper, Scissors[edit | edit source]
Only available in Lion's Arch from Lucky Hochei. A simple game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.
Cost: 1 Lunar Token
Items[edit | edit source]
- Sugary Blue Drink: Just the thing when you need a quick boost of energy in town.
- Champagne Poppers: The classic party favor used to ring in the New Year in style.
- Bottle Rockets: A single-shot firework. Please point away from body.
- Sparklers: Shoots sparks around your body. Be careful not to stand near flammable objects.
- Red Gift Bag: Surprises come wrapped in red during the New Year's festival. Open for a festival gift or, possibly, a small fortune.
- Lunar Fortune: Will you have good luck or bad luck this year? Only your lunar fortune can tell you.
- Lunar Token: Collect these tokens throughout the festival and trade them in for prizes or to play Rock, Paper, Scissors.
- Red Bean Cake: Sugar Rush
- Lion Mask: Every year it is automatically added to characters' inventories that are in Shing Jea Monastery at the end of the finales.
The Celestial Feast[edit | edit source]
The Celestial Feast is the finale of Canthan New Year, heralding the Celestial Animal's arrival in Shing Jea Monastery. 8 minutes before the animal arrives, the imperial chefs begin preparing their dishes for the feast, calling out for players to provide the specific ingredients they require. When all 5 dishes are ready, or when the timer expires, the Celestial Animal will appear and partake of the dishes that have been prepared.
All players in a district are given rewards depending on how many dishes were completed in that district. If no dishes are completed, the Celestial Animal will express its displeasure by transforming everyone in the district into the current year's animal.
Red Gift Bags
Crates of Fireworks2
- Added in 2010.
- Added in 2008.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
To create dishes to please the great celestial, the Imperial Chefs will be looking for these ingredients:
- Imperial Chef Yan (Appetizer)
- Imperial Chef Reun (Salad)
- Imperial Chef Jiong (Soup)
- Imperial Chef Chen (Main Course)
- Imperial Chef Tian (Dessert)
NOTE: You will receive 1 Lunar Token for each ingredient that you give to a chef when they ask for it. You can give the same ingredient for additional Lunar Tokens repeatedly until the chef asks for the next ingredient. Once a chef moves on to the next ingredient you can no longer give the previous ingredient. Likewise you can not give an ingredient that has not yet been requested. To complete all 5 dishes, all ingredients above must be provided. However, it is not necessary that all ingredients come from one person; different ingredients can be provided by different people.
Schedule[edit | edit source]
Schedule of (2011)
Friday, February 3rd, Noon PST (20:00 GMT): Start of the event & Festival NPC's arrive.
Sunday, February 6th, 12:01 AM PST (08:01 GMT): first appearance of the Celestial Rabbit
Monday, February 7th, 12:01 AM PST (08:01 GMT): last appearance of the Celestial Rabbit
Monday, February 7th, Noon PST (20:00 GMT): Announced end of the festival.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Canthan New Year is heavily inspired by the Chinese New Year. The Canthan New Year event is held on the weekend closest to the date of Chinese New Year, and the Celestial Animals match the animals of the Chinese zodiac.
[edit | edit source]
Official site[edit | edit source]
Fansites[edit | edit source]
- Complete Guide to the 2008 Canthan New Year Event
- Guild Wars Guru forum - Developer Roundtable, 26 January 2007 (includes brief description of Canthan New Year)
- GWVault - Cantha finally gets some love (Canthan New Year, focused on Rollerbeetle Race)
- Das Cantha Neujahrsevent (in German)
- Guild Wars Hispano forum thread about Rollerbeetle Race (in Spanish)
- Guild Wars Poland forum thread about Canthan New Year and Rollerbeetle Race (in Polish)
|April Fools' Day||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012|
|Birthday Celebrations||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011|
|Dragon Festival||2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011|
|Halloween||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011|
|Wintersday||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011|
|Recurring||Canthan New Year • Lucky weekend • Sweet Treat Weekend (Easter) • Wintersday in July • Talk Like a Pirate Day • Special Treats Weekend (Thanksgiving)|
|One-time||Day of the Tengu • Farewell to Gaile|