GuildWiki has been locked down: anonymous editing and account creation are disabled. Current registered users are unaffected. Leave any comments on the Community Portal.
Category talk:Duplicate skills
Shouldn't we hold this? None of this is final :s — Skuld 22:36, 27 March 2006 (CST)
- Seems easy to revert, and the fact that Gaile stated that it was purposeful, and chosen to allow duplicating skills on the skillbar would support the intent to keep them. I think it's actually a pathetic rationalization, as the skills selectedvary from really handy to have a duplicate of in a build to never needing to be duplicated, and that they simply want to boost the number of skills in game (Now with over 600 skills!). Tiger's Fury? Why would anyone run two copies of Tiger's Fury? Gimme a break - it's an attempt to pad the skill list - the problem is that some of the skills are abusively good, and worth having copies of, while others are horrid, or will simply never be used as the originals aren't even used (Searing Heat post AoE nerf?).--Epinephrine 00:44, 28 March 2006 (CST)
- The NPC AI in the competitive missions is screwed up enough that skills like Searing Heat are extremely effective. I struggled with the Jade Quarry mission with my R/A, but waltzed to victory with my E/R. This might change by release time, though, unless they specifically wanted the "old style" of AI for the guard NPCs. — Stabber 00:56, 28 March 2006 (CST)
- There are a few skills that make me doubt Anets rationalization. Tigers Fury is one of them (but now you can have Tigers Fury up all the time with 0 in Beast Mastery), but also Heal Area or Heal other (3 seconds recast and expensive, why double this?). Spinal Shivers? To maintain it on 4 instead of 2 enemies? When even 2 would be very taxing on the energy? Of course there is always the arguement about bringing a duplicate in case your first copy gets disabled somehow, but that one is rather weak. But some classes really got a big boost, especially when the duplicate is a heavy hitting attack skills. The warrior attacks or the necro attack skills could make several spike builds more nasty. --Xeeron 19:04, 28 March 2006 (CST)
- Are you guys actually buying that argument? The reason is obvious: People who bought Chapter 2 but never heard of Chapter one. Basically, the make more skills "core" skills yet at the same time can advertize them as 30 NEW skills! It's a business decision that I think has little to do with in-game tactics. That does not prevent there being grave and profound in game tactical consequences. :) --Karlos 19:09, 28 March 2006 (CST)
- What surprises me a little is the fact that they announced 25 new skills and only then topped it up with the duplicate skills, so it doesnt look like a "omg, we need the 5 last skills and have no ideas" type of action. I guess that they decided on which skills to be prophecies, which ones to be factions and core and after having done all that, the guy charged with game balance had a second look at it and said: Ok the factions guys will be totally fucked up without these spells, then need :insert duplicate skill name:. But they did not want to reduce the number of prophecies skills any further and so came up with the genius idea of creating the duplicates.
- An alternative explanation is that they indeed intended to broaden the strategic gameplay by allowing duplicates, but messed up on the implementation (by duplicating stuff like tigers fury), but I rather believe in the first one.
- However, no matter what is the reason, duplicate skills will change the gameplay. --Xeeron 21:43, 31 March 2006 (CST)
- Looking further ahead, it may have to do with balance and the third campaign. ANet has said they're already working on it (a year long development cycle with a six month release cycle, after all). I doubt ANet will make any changes to what campaign a skill is in after the skill is released, so it might just seem odd to us now. Not that it might not seem odd with the third campaign, since we're not privy to ANet's balance considerations. Perhaps pairs of "adjacent" campaigns will duplicate a small number of skills. --18.104.22.168 22:10, 31 March 2006 (CST)
Dasmnit, I'm trying to sort out a table showing the duplicates but I can't do tables fotr the life of me. Can anyone help? --22.214.171.124 00:42, 28 March 2006 (CST)
- There, I put in a basic table for you - I assume you'll populate it with something like:
- --Epinephrine 00:51, 28 March 2006 (CST)
- By the way, there should be 60 in this list - I'm fairly certain the last pair of ranger skills is Bestial Pounce/Savage Pounce (the knockdown on spell casting pair), but haven't addressed the warrior list yet.--Epinephrine 01:00, 28 March 2006 (CST)
The missing skill[edit source]
I looked through the skills after reading the last comment and found that Searing Heat is missing. Teinai's Heat = Searing Heat. Hope it helps.--Nizzen126.96.36.199 14:20, 14 June 2006 (CDT)