The flow of builds and their counters is known as the metagame.
Examples[edit | edit source]
- A Warrior heavy build can be countered by bringing skills that hamper melee attackers, such as Ward Against Melee, Shadow of Fear, Blinding Flash, or Aegis.
- Skill Spammers, such as boon prot monks and Touch rangers, can be countered with skills that extend recharge, such as Diversion and Energizing Wind.
- A spike build, such as Ranger Spike teams, can be countered with skills that prevent damage or extend life, such as Life Sheath and Fertile Season.
- A team that requires all of their offensive characters to be together can be countered by splitting.
- An enchantment heavy team, such as a Zealot's Fire smite team, can be countered with enchantment removal, such as Order of Apostasy.
Counter-Counters[edit | edit source]
Many teams carry skills that are designed to counter possible counters. For example a condition based degen team may bring Signet of Humility to counter Restore Condition or Martyr in tombs. When planning a build, be sure to include skills to counter possible opposing teams, as well as skills that prevent or inhibit counters to your build.