GuildWiki has been locked down: anonymous editing and account creation are disabled. Current registered users are unaffected. Leave any comments on the Community Portal.
GuildWiki:Image attribution project
Currently, some images on the GuildWiki lack attribution. This is a problem, as it means that we are generally violating copyright law with some images. This project exists to coordinate attribution efforts in a single place.
What images are allowed?[edit source]
The image use policy states which images are allowed to be uploaded. However, since this policy does not really deal with copyright, improving it to be more explicit certainly falls under the scope of this project.
How can I help?[edit source]
This is a massive undertaking, and there are many ways you can assist.
Templates for common attribution cases would be very helpful in speeding up this project's work. These include (but are not limited to):
- Template:Unattributed image for images that lack attribution entirely. This template includes Category:Unattributed images.
- Template:Copyvio for images that clearly are disallowed on the GuildWiki for license reasons. Pages marked can be found at the listing Category:Suspected copyright violations.
- Template:Public domain image for images that are released under the public domain in the United States. This template probably need some parameters, like original source, reason it's public domain, etc.
- Template:GFDL image for images that are allowed to be used on the GuildWiki because of their licenses. This template probably need some parameters, like original source, reason it's public domain, etc.
- Template:User-created image for images that our users themselves have created and released under our Creative Commons license. This template needs some parameters like the username.
- Template:Fair-use image for images that we use under fair use and why this image is fair-use. Separate templates, like Template:Screenshot and Template:Fansite kit image might be based upon this template.
Of course, you're welcome to name these whatever you like -- if Wikipedia has templates to fill these purposes, you're welcome to port them over. Any templates helpful to this project should be listed here.
Currently, some images have no text at all. A bot could add an unattributed image template to every image page with no text at all. That would give us a starting point for doing manual, human labor.
Naturally, this is the meat of the project. Once an unattributed image category is created and populated, people should feel free to claim part of that category and begin either attributing images or flagging them as copyvios.
Any user can list their name and a statement of which images they're working with ("I'm taking Abaddon's Mouth.jpg through Battle Stance.png") below.
Automated list of unattributed images[edit source]
To view a section of the list as gallery, copy
<gallery caption="Sample gallery" widths="100px" heights="100px" perrow="6"> into the list on a line by itself and place
</gallery> somewhere below that. The images listed between these two tags will be shown as gallery when you press the Show preview button (don't save your edit!). Don't try to display too many images! At present, you can avoid taxing the server overmuch by making sure to cover only images starting with the same letter, and possibly less than all of those, at that. This will also ensure that you don't die of old age before the page has loaded.
You can copy & paste a chunk of the list to make a list for AWB to use (make list from text file). AWB can (semi-)automatically append text (such as a screenshot template) to any page you choose not to ignore.