GuildWiki has been locked down: anonymous editing and account creation are disabled. Current registered users are unaffected. Leave any comments on the Community Portal.
GuildWiki talk:Bot tasks/Relinking moved pages
ULC cat changes[edit source]
← Moved from GuildWiki talk:Bot tasks
Okay a few decisions need to be made on this.
- Profession Bosses → Profession bosses (btw, is boss capitalized in game??)
- Species Bosses → Species bosses
- Place (Mission) → Place (mission) (also, Location, skill, and other disambigs)
- Dagger Tang → Dagger tang (and other weapon upgrades; don't recall in game caps)
- Contains diamond → Contains Diamond (some crafting materials use an abbreviated name in teh cat name (contains dust vs contains pile of glittering dust), others dont'; should they be uniform? all renamed to full name? keep all lower?)
- Dagger attacks → Dagger Attacks (should skill type be capitalized? some are (Dual Attacks for example)
- Drops Profession Unique Item → Drops Profession unique item (call it green?)
I'll post more as I come across/think of them. The basic question is, which do we want to keep capital because it uses some ingame term or some standard capitalization that we use elsewhere on the wiki and which are violating ULC and should be changed. —♥Jedi♥Rogue♥ 00:14, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- Added some more questions. Also, I favor using lower case over upper if it comes into question because when adding a cat to a page, i type it in lowercase by default).—♥Jedi♥Rogue♥ 16:40, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- Capturing the Signet of Capture has "bosses" in the dialogue, and it is not capitalised. The other SoC quests dont have any mention of "boss", but I think this is sufficient. No? As for attack: An attack itself is never capitalised. However, a "Dual Attack" is a mechanism in game, and thus it is capitalised. Call it unique item, imho. a "green item" doesn't actually exist. It's just a name the community gave to a Unique item. --- -- (s)talkpage 16:51, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- I don't recall ever seeing the word "boss" in-game, except for what Viper mentioned, so lc it.
- Cooperative Mission, Explorable Area, Outpost, etc. are capitalized in the on-screen message whenever you enter an instance, so I'd say (Mission) and (Explorable) should stay as they are, and (Location) should be replaced with either (Town) or (Outpost) for specificity. A (skill) disambiguation should be lc, since that just refers to it as a "skill" in general instead of as the Skill skill type. Weapons with (unique) should also be lc (see #7).
- I don't see any categories like that, but an upgrade's name is always titlecase, "Zealous Hammer Haft".
- That's a close one - I've changed my mind twice already while typing this, and still can't give a straight answer. XD
- Skill types should be capitalized for category names because, as Viper said, they describe a game mechanic. Making a Bow Attack (using a skill) is different from making a bow attack (c+space). I think we could even uc Dagger Attack, since even though it's not used in-game, there are parallels for every other martial weapon.
- I don't believe there is any in-game term for "items with green names", but calling them "unique items" sounds much better than "greens". Since it's not in-game, it should be lc.
- I think that's all I have to say about that, for now. —Dr Ishmael 17:23, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- Re 7.: "Green" has redirected to "Unique Item" on GuildWiki for 2 years now, so definitely go with UI.
- Re 5.: "Dust" redirects to PoGD, so the long form is the one to use.
- Using the short forms is prone to confuse new players, and it probably looks strange when you link it from the long name. Is it possible to redirect a category, so that you can link to Category: Contains Dust and get Category: Contains Piles of Glittering Dust?
- --mendel 05:50, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- You can put a redirect on a cat page, yes (see [Category:Monk Skills]), but articles can still be assigned to the category. It would probably be best to delete the short-name cat so that it shows up as a redlink, which would hopefully make editors realize that it's the wrong cat. —Dr Ishmael 14:48, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- Nothing a little cat patrol can't cure, especially if you put them all in Category:Redirected Categories. But it is a matter of little import (the user can always look up the article ("Dust" in this case) and take it from there, so do what you will. --mendel 15:09, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
AWB: Make from Category[edit source]
I seem to remember a discussion somewhere that the "Make from Category" option in AutoWikiBrowser doesn't work right, but I can't find it. I finally got the .NET framework installed, so I'm trying out AWB now and can't make the category option work. AWB with Make from Category would make this task much easier than writing it in Perl. —Dr Ishmael 05:12, 10 June 2008 (UTC)
- Just save the category page to your harddisk and extract a list of the pages with Perl (I was using contribs and awk, but it's the same thing). You can then load the text file. Make sure you save your settings before you load the file, I'm not sure whatmakes AWB lock up. --mendel 05:38, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
Admin approval[edit source]
Since I generalized this task to be an "on-request" link rewriter for moved pages, can we get a general admin approval? I've already got a few pages lined up that need to be renamed but have too many links to do manually. —Dr Ishmael 04:25, 17 June 2008 (UTC)
- *BUMP*BUMP*BUMP* *taps foot impatiently* —Dr Ishmael 02:38, 20 June 2008 (UTC)
To do list[edit source]
For my own reference, until this gets approved... —Dr Ishmael 01:09, 18 June 2008 (UTC)
Need to be moved[edit source]
These pages need to be moved but have too many links to be done manually.
- [:Category:Design-A-Weapon contest weapons] → Category:Design-A-Weapon contest items
- [:Category:Design-A-Weapon contest weapons (2006)] → Category:Design-A-Weapon contest items (2006)
- [:Category:Design-A-Weapon contest weapons (2007)] → Category:Design-A-Weapon contest items (2007)
- [:Category:Forgotten weapons] → Category:Forgotten items
- [:Category:Norn weapons] → Category:Norn items
- [:Category:Stygian weapons] → Category:Stygian items
- [:Category:Vabbian weapons] → Category:Vabbian items
- [:Category:Wintergreen weapons] → Category:Wintersgreen items
- [:Category:Wintersday 2005 weapons] → Category:Wintersday 2005 items
- [:Category:Wintersday 2006 weapons] → Category:Wintersday 2006 items
- [:Category:Zodiac weapons] → Category:Zodian items
- Drake (Species) → Drake (species)
- Wurm (Species) → Wurm (species)
- Skill Quests → Skill quests
- Lich Lord → Undead Lich
- Vocal was Sogolon → Vocal Was Sogolon
- Recurve Bow → Recurve bow
- don't forget about GuildWiki talk:Style and formatting/Disambiguation#Skill name anomalies.
- Talk:Absorption → Talk:Damage reduction
- Absorption → Damage reduction
(redirect delinking moved to GuildWiki talk:Bot tasks/Links to unnecessary redirects)
Find/replace rules[edit source]
They are given as:
[[new#. This is unacceptable in the case of major name changes, such as Absorption → Damage reduction, because it changes the article text, and anyway, there may be problems with capitalisation. So the rules should really be
[[old# case is different: one option is to skip it and adjust it by hand later (using WhatLinkshere, which is now clear of most links), or skip it and make a find/replace for the whole
old#anchor term (if it is plentiful); and the other option is to assume that if the # is visible in the page text, the changed pagename should be visible as well, and thus do
[[new# and not worry about it. --◄mendel► 07:27, 30 September 2008 (UTC)
Request: (Dungeon) -> (dungeon)[edit source]
- Justiciar Thommis (Dungeon) -> Justiciar Thommis (dungeon)
- Forgewight (Dungeon) -> Forgewight (dungeon)
- Selvetarm (Dungeon) -> Selvetarm (dungeon)
- Duncan the Black (Dungeon) -> Duncan the Black (dungeon)
Thanks! --◄mendel► 13:17, 21 December 2010 (UTC)
- AWB still can't make a list from What links here, so this will have to be tabled for a while. —Dr Ishmael 14:50, 22 December 2010 (UTC)