GuildWiki has been locked down: anonymous editing and account creation are disabled. Current registered users are unaffected. Leave any comments on the Community Portal.
Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Tyria is the name of the world in which most of the game is played. It includes the known continents of Tyria (of the same name), Cantha, Elona, and the Battle Isles (the archipelago which is home to Guild Halls and PvP arenas).
Earth resemblance[edit | edit source]
The world of Tyria bears a resemblence to Earth: Elona has parallels with Sub-Saharan Africa, Cantha with eastern and southeastern Asia, and Tyria blends parts of Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa.
Major bodies of water[edit | edit source]
Tyria also includes these known seas and oceans:
Additionally, there are two areas that were covered with water in ages past:
- The Jade Sea was petrified in the Jade Wind.
- The Crystal Desert was originally the Crystal Sea, before it was destroyed during the war between the Margonites and the followers of the Five Gods.
There are, however, unnamed bodies of water - such as the unnamed body of water north of the Maguuma Jungle and what lies on the "western coast" of Tyria that's explained in the Fort Koga description.
Unknown areas[edit | edit source]
None of the lore available in Guild Wars suggests whether there are land masses east of Tyria or Elona nor south of Cantha. There are only two references to the shape of the world: the description of Minister Cho's Estate states that, "[the] menagerie of exotic animals from across the globe..."; the Manuscript book of EotN says that "...[Ascalonians are]... scattered across the globe." However, the use of "globe" as a synonym for "world" leaves open the possibility of a flat world.
Other Lore[edit | edit source]
- The Guild Wars Nightfall Manuscripts, mention that, "in 731 CC, Cantha began trading with the northern areas, along with Tyria and Elona," also suggesting a globe-shape.
- Legend has it that Tyria was the first world created and that after the Exodus, the Gods went on to create other worlds.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- An early version of the logo for Guild Wars 2 shows a globe.